NEW YORK (AP) — Brooklyn District Attorney Kenneth Thompson says two men who’ve served years in prison were wrongfully convicted of a 1985 killing. He says they falsely confessed to kidnapping and shooting a man and taking his car.
Thompson said he plans to ask a judge Wednesday to throw out the convictions of David McCallum and Willie Stuckey, who died behind bars. Their cause was championed by one of the nation’s most famous exonerees, former prizefighter Rubin “Hurricane” Carter.
McCallum and Stuckey were 16 years old when they were charged in the abduction and killing of Nathan Blenner.
Blenner was abducted Oct. 20, 1985, in front of his home in the south Ozone Park neighborhood of Queens.
The next day, children playing in an empty lot near a park in Bushwick found Blenner’s lifeless body. He had been shot once in the head.
The teen were arrested soon after, confessed to the crime and sentenced to 25 years to life in prison. But Thompson says he’s concluded their confessions weren’t true.
He says no other evidence links them to the abduction and killing of Nathan Blenner.
If a judge agrees, the 45-year-old McCallum could be released Wednesday. Stuckey died in prison in 2001.
Thompson’s predecessor reviewed the convictions and stood by them last year.
Thompson’s Conviction Review Unit has successfully overturned nine convictions and achieved a dropped appeal.
About 100 cases of possible wrongful convictions are still being reviewed.