MONROE, Conn. (AP) — A bomb threat has led to the evacuation of the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.
Monroe Police Lt. Brian McCauley says the threat was called in to the school at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday and the evacuation was ordered as a precaution. He says the school building and grounds were checked and no evidence of danger was found.
Nancy Bartosik of the Monroe superintendent’s office says the school was dismissed early and students moved to a nearby school to be picked up by their parents.
A gunman killed 20 first-grade students and six educators at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown on December 2012. The students resumed classes in a school in the neighboring town of Monroe, also called Sandy Hook Elementary School. The original school building was torn down last year.