Firefighters use tiny oxygen masks to save baby hamsters

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LACEY, WASHINGTON (PIX11) — A group of firefighters reporting to a mobile home in Washington not only put out a fire, but saved a family of hamsters too.

Lacey Fire Department District 3 documented the whole rescue on Twitter Friday, Sept. 26. After putting out the fire at the Martin Way home, the firefighters removed a family of hamsters they found in a cage.

Two of the pets, identified as Oreo and Madonna, along with three baby hamsters were treated with oxygen using animal rescue and aid equipment that was on hand.

“Our crews are trained and specially equipped to care for animals that have been rescued from a house fire,” the department said in a tweet.

Nobody was in the home at the time of the fire, which may have started from a clothing dryer, KOMO News reported.