NEW YORK (PIX11)-- Many are now discovering of virgin coconut oil and looking for quick and easy recipes to incorporate more coconut in their diet.
Chef David Mawhinney from Haven's Kitchen has three easy-to-make recipes using coconut oil.
Vita Coco Green Smoothie
Makes 2 Servings
• 1/2 cup Vita Coco Pure Coconut Water
• 1 cucumber
• 1 banana
• 1 cup baby spinach, packed
• 1/4 cup blueberries
• 2 tsp. Vita Coco Coconut Oil (warmed slightly)
• ice, as needed
1. In a blender, combine the Vita Coco Pure Coconut Water, fruits and vegetable and puree until smooth on high. Slowly pour in the Vita Coco Coconut Oil (melted until liquid, but not hot) to incorporate.
2. Add ice (approx. 1 cup) and continue to blend until smooth.
Vita Coco Coconut Oil Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Makes 4 Servings
• 2 tbsp. Vita Coco Coconut Oil
• 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 3 chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
• 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
• 1 organic green pepper, diced
• 1/2 pack button mushrooms (or to taste), diced
• 4 organic scallions (green onions) sliced, greens and whites
• 2 tbsp. gluten free tamari
• salt to taste
• 1 head of bibb lettuce, leaves detached, rinsed, and dried
1. Heat up the Vita Coco Coconut Oil in a skillet and add the ginger and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes.
2. Add chicken and crushed red pepper and cook 5-7 minutes or until cooked through.
3. Add green bell pepper and mushrooms and sauté a 2-3 more minutes. (Optional: If you like your vegetables cooked more, add them in before the chicken.)
4. Add the scallion in last with the tamari.
5. Serve in lettuce leaves (as a cup or wrap).
Vita Coco Coconut Oil No-Bake Bars
Makes 18 bars
• 1/2 cup Vita Coco Coconut Oil
• 1 cup unsweetened peanut butter
• 1/2 cup honey
• 2 cups rolled oats
• 1-1/4 cups dark or semisweet chocolate chips
• 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
• 1/2 cup chopped salted almonds
1. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat the peanut butter, honey and Vita Coco Coconut Oil over medium-low heat until smooth and well-combined. Then remove from heat.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients, mixing well until the chocolate chips are completely melted.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Before chilling, sprinkle cocoa nibs on top for texture.
5. Refrigerate until the bars are firm. Cut into squares. Store the bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator.