(PIX11) -- Miss the crispy, charred-goodness of grilled food, but don't think you have the right equipment? Think again.
Everyday With Rachael Ray shares these recipes for grilling without a grill:
Corn, Tomato and Zucchini Kebab
This barbecue favorite can be prepared with a grill pan.
- Fresh lime juice
- Crushed red pepper
- Large cherry tomatoes, such as Campari
- Corn on the cob rounds
- Zucchini, cut into half-moons
- Mix melted butter with fresh lime juice and crushed red pepper; season.
- Thread skewers with large cherry tomatoes (such as Campari), corn on the cob rounds and zucchini half-moons.
- Grill over high, turning occasionally and brushing with butter mixture, until vegetables are charred in spots, about 12 minutes.
Use a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet/grill pan to cook these spicy lamb burgers.
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 head garlic
- Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sprig rosemary
- A handful fresh mint
- Juice of 1 small, ripe lemon
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika for mild burgers, or 1 tablespoon harissa for spicy burgers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 4 slices emmentaler cheese
- 4 mediterranean flatbreads, english muffins or brioche rolls, split
- Leaf lettuce, sliced ripe tomato and thinly sliced red onion, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . Poke the eggplant with the tip of a sharp knife in a few places and set on a rack-covered baking sheet; roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Finely chop 2 large cloves garlic and reserve. Cut the end of the remaining head of garlic to expose the cloves; drizzle with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Finely chop the rosemary and press the garlic head into it to coat. Wrap the garlic head in foil and roast with the eggplant until soft and golden, about 35 minutes. Let the eggplant and garlic cool.
- Squeeze the garlic into a food processor. Cut open the eggplant and scoop the flesh into the food processor; discard the skin. Puree the garlic and eggplant with the mint and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the lamb with the reserved garlic, the parsley, chives, paprika or harissa, cumin and coriander; season with salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 4 patties, making them slightly thinner at the center than at the edges. In a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, cook the burgers in a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat, turning once, for 6 minutes for rare or 8 minutes for medium. Top with the cheese during the last minute of cooking.
- Spread the eggplant puree on the top bread halves (reserve any leftover puree to have as a snack on charred bread). Layer the bottom bread halves with the lettuce, burgers, tomatoes and onions. Cover with the bread tops.
Broiled Plums with Orange Vanilla Sugar
Use a broiler in lieu of a grill for these savory treats.
- Plums, halved and pitted
- Whole vanilla beans, seeds removed
- 1/2 orange, zested
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the broiler. Arrange plum halves on a broiler pan, cut side up.
- Place vanilla bean seeds into a small bowl; add the orange zest and sugar. Rub together with your fingertips to blend, then sprinkle over the plums.
- Broil until browned in spots, about 10 minutes.
- Serve the plums with vanilla ice cream.