Authorities: Dog turns on stove, sparks house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LACEY TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) – Authorities say a dog accidentally started a house fire in southern New Jersey.

No injuries were reported in the blaze, which was reported around 5:15 p.m. Friday, and the home was not seriously damaged.

Lacey Township police tell the Asbury Park Press that investigators believe the dog accidentally turned on the stove, though they did not specify how that occurred.

Heat from the stove eventually burned a laptop computer that had been left on top of the appliance.

Smoke was coming out of the roof of the Norwood Drive home when firefighters arrived, but the blaze was quickly extinguished.

No one was in the home when the fire occurred, but firefighters say the dog was safely removed from the residence.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.