NewsLocal NewsNew Jersey

Actions

Authorities: Dog turns on stove, sparks house fire

Posted: 3:19 PM, Aug 30, 2014
Updated: 2014-08-30 15:19:41-04

LACEY TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) – Authorities say a dog accidentally started a house fire in southern New Jersey.

No injuries were reported in the blaze, which was reported around 5:15 p.m. Friday, and the home was not seriously damaged.

Lacey Township police tell the Asbury Park Press that investigators believe the dog accidentally turned on the stove, though they did not specify how that occurred.

Heat from the stove eventually burned a laptop computer that had been left on top of the appliance.

Smoke was coming out of the roof of the Norwood Drive home when firefighters arrived, but the blaze was quickly extinguished.

No one was in the home when the fire occurred, but firefighters say the dog was safely removed from the residence.