Got a Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV or Android TV? Get PIX11 content there now!

Woman hospitalized from drinking tea mixed with chemicals released

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Utah woman poisoned tea

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Utah woman who nearly died after unknowingly drinking iced tea mixed with chemicals has been released from a Salt Lake City hospital.

University of Utah Health Care spokeswoman Marissa Villasenor confirmed Sunday that 67-year-old Jan Harding was released Saturday morning.

Harding has been slowly improving since Aug. 10, when she drank a single sip of sweetened iced tea at Dickey’s Barbecue in South Jordan, a Salt Lake City suburb.

Family attorney Paxton Guymon has said an industrial cleaning solution mixed into the tea caused deep, ulcerated burns in Harding’s esophagus.

Authorities have said a restaurant employee unintentionally put the heavy-duty cleaner in a sugar bag, and a worker later mistakenly mixed it into the iced tea dispenser.

Salt Lake County prosecutors have not announced whether charges will be filed.