Got a Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV or Android TV? Get PIX11 content there now!

Boy sickened after drinking Dairy Queen shake tainted by cleaning chemicals

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

THORNTON, Colo. (PIX11) A Colorado mother is demanding answers after her son got sick from drinking a Dairy Queen shake contaminated with cleaning products.

According to FOX31 Denver, a mother and her son visited a Thornton Dairy Queen for vanilla milkshakes.

After taking one bite, Lisa Chase says her son Riley complained that the drink didn’t taste right. Shortly after, his stomach was burning.

“I took a drink of it and tasted something very ‘chemically,’ and then my mouth and throat started burning,” Chase told FOX31.

Chase then returned to the Dairy Queen demanding a refund, but was denied by management.

A district manager reached out to Chase later on and confessed that someone had mixed a cleaning chemical with the vanilla syrup.

Chase says the manager told her someone had a cleaning bottle that wasn’t cleaned out and they put the vanilla in it.

The Colorado Health Department is investigating the incident.