Samsung phone burns up under Texas girl’s pillow

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DALLAS (PIX11) — A Texas teen using her Samsung smartphone to text and tweet before falling asleep awoke to find the phone burning under her pillow,  according to a report from KDFW.

Ariel Tolfree, 13, told KDFW she slipped the Galaxy S4 under her pillow and then later woke up to the smell of something burning.

“I didn’t think much of it, so I went back to sleep and then I woke up again and it was more prominent,” Tolfree told the station.

KDFW reached out to Samsung, and a company spokesperson told the station that the battery inside Tolfree’s phone was not an original Samsung battery.  The company notes that  in the phone’s manual, it cautions against using incompatible cell phone batteries and chargers. The manual also warns that there’s the risk of a fire or explosion if the phone is covered by bedding or other thick material.

Read the full story from KDFW.




1 Comment

  • Denise Gunn

    I had a samsung battery explode last night on my carpet, and it was not in a phone. I’m glad my son and I were up when iy happened. It burnt my carpet. We had to take it outside as nd fire extinguish it…

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.