(PIX11) – A flight attendant for 12 years is revealing his mile-high tales of luxury travel, celebrity passengers and how the flying public can get the most out their trip through the clouds.
“Confessions of a Qantas Flight Attendant: True Tales and Gossip From the Galley” by Owen Beddall dishes out first-class gossip and is available now.
Beddall shared these 5 ways with PIX11 News about how you can get the most out of your flying experience:
1. Arrive early and relax: I always find if you arrive early (always expect the worst with security and delays) and take time to have a drink and buy some magazines, you are generally more relaxed and less anxious for your flight.
2. Pick your target: If you are looking for an upgrade or better seat, find an airline worker who looks happy and is enjoying their day. They will be more likely to help. Also, if you have a problem such as an injury or dietary requirement, tell them on the flight.
3. Be a little self-sufficient: Although there is food and Inflight entertainment, I always like to take my own iPod, magazines and a packet of lollies. It just means that if things go wrong, you are not left in the dark (literally). Also, if there is a busy time on the plane and you are hungry, you can sustain yourself for the time being.
4. Engage the cabin crew: Cabin crew is your best and only bet of getting "special treatment" once the doors are closed. If you are friendly to them, compliment them and talk to them as an equal, you are more likely to get an extra glass of top-shelf champagne and a gift pack.
5. Listen to the crew: Most people are visual and they just watch the person in front of them. Sometimes that means you are going in a longer way or into possible danger. Listen to what the crew is telling you as they know what is going on from the cockpit and which exits are easiest. In an emergency, this is essential but you'd be surprised how many people don’t listen and walk into danger. For example, if flight attendants are quickly telling you to take your seat, they may know weather variations are coming, placing you in danger. Everyone wants to get home as quickly and safely as possible.