BROOKLYN, N.Y. (PIX11) — A $5,000 reward is being offered in the case of the mysterious flags atop the Brooklyn Bridge.
Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams along with City Councilmember Margaret Chin, announced the reward at a news conference Tuesday at the entrance of the bridge walkway on Tillary Street.
“I’m not laughing,” the Borough President said.
The NYPD agrees that the flag-switch is no laughing matter. They’re considering it a major breach of security, although they don’t believe it is tied to terrorism. The working theory is that two teams operated to replace the Americans flags on each of the bridge’s stone towers. They were swapped with flags that had been bleached or painted, with just a faint image of the stars and stripes showing through.
John Miller, the deputy commissioner of intelligence for the NYPD, said at a news conference yesterday that investigators aren’t yet sure what the motive behind the stunt is.
“This may be somebody’s art project or it may be an attempt at making some kind of statement but at this time, it’s not clear what they statement is,” Miller said.
The bridge is one of the most heavily secured landmarks in the city, constantly monitored by surveillance cameras.