Gasoline smell sends students at Queens high school home early

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Teacher union says city clases are extremely overcrowded

QUEENS, N.Y. (PIX11) – The smell of gasoline was so strong at a Queens high school Monday morning that students were sent home for the day.

A spokeswoman for Martin Luther High School in Maspeth said they noticed a smell of gasoline about 9 a.m. and called the fire department.

She said crews determined that the smell likely did not originate in the school, but may have been caused by someone dumping gasoline into a nearby sewer.

Students were evacuated as a precaution to nearby St. Stanislaus Church and dismissed for the day at about 10 a.m.

Classes are expected to resume Tuesday morning.

Teacher union says city clases are extremely overcrowded

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.