BROOKLYN HEIGHTS (PIX11) – Angry engaged couples confronted Jason Stevens outside a Brooklyn courthouse Thursday morning chanting, “you’re a thief, you’re a thief,”
Stevens walked past the protesters, got into a car and drove away without a response.
ReBar, the former wedding venue owned by Stevens, closed its doors suddenly earlier this month. Former employees told PIX 11 Stevens collected wedding deposits for all-inclusive receptions booked through the end of 2015. Many of the couples outside court Thursday wanted to know if they’d ever get their money back.
“There was no remorse on his face,” said Suzanne Pudesa. She and fiancé Steve Obeng say they paid reBar $16,000 for an August wedding.
Stevens made a brief appearance in court Thursday morning for a pending tax fraud case. Many of the couples want Stevens slapped with criminal charges connection with the closure of reBar.
Christian Pascarela and Stephanie Kutch paid reBar over $15,000. Christian told PIX 11, “It was nice to see that he was in court today but it wasn’t nice to see that he wasn’t charged for the crimes against us, yet there are 150 couples plus that have lost over a million dollars from this man already.”
The Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office is investigating Stevens and the closure of reBar.AlertMe