Friends, family to say final goodbye to slain Conn. teen

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Conn. high school student stabbed to death for allegedly rejecting peer’s prom invitation

Maren Sanchez, a popular student among her peers, was killed allegedly by a classmate on April 25, 2014.

MILFORD, Conn. (PIX11) — Friends and family will say their final goodbyes Thursday to a 16-year-old girl, slain in the hallway of her Connecticut high school, who “saw the world through artists’ eyes.”

Maren Sanchez died last week from wounds she suffered in an April 25 stabbing allegedly carried out by a classmate at Jonathan Law High School in Milford, Conn.

“Maren had an air of confidence that allowed her to accomplish anything,” her obituary reads. “Maren was and will always be a limitless light who saw the world through a spectrum of joy, love, kindness and compassion. Everyone she touched felt her warmth.”

Earlier this week, friends, family and classmates were joined by Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy for an emotional vigil to remember Sanchez’s “remarkable” life.

Calling hours are scheduled from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Cody-White Funeral Home located at 107 North Broad Street in Milford.

There will be no funeral service and a burial will be private, according to Sanchez’s obituary.

Instead of flowers, the teen’s family has asked a donation be made to a memorial fund set up in honor of the former class president and swim team manager. To donate, click here.

The suspect in Sanchez’s killing — 16-year-old Christopher Plaskon — was arraigned Tuesday at a medical facility on murder charges. He had been charged previously as a juvenile offender but is now charged as an adult.

A court filing notes that Plaskon confessed to the slaying, allegedly telling a police officer, “I did it. Just arrest me.”

The police affidavit goes on to note that several witnesses saw Plaskon discard a bloody knife after the attack.

Plaskon’s attorneys said he has been hospitalized under psychiatric evaluation.

He is to be transferred to custody of the Correction Department with bond set at $3 million and is to appear in adult court Friday.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.