IKEA expands recall of lamp involved in 16-month-old’s death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


NEW YORK (PIX11) — IKEA is expanding its lamp recall involved in the strangulation death of a 16-month-old, and reminding parents to secure cords far out of children’s reach.

Several versions of the company’s wall-mounted lamps are now being recalled because of a strangulation hazard, the company said.

Warnings were first issued about IKEA’s SMILA wall lamp in December following a report that a 16-month-old died after pulling the lamp’s cord into its crib and becoming entangled in the wire, the company said.

The recall was expanded Tuesday to include multiple other wall-mounted light fixtures, including the TASSA Natt wall-mounted lamp, the crib-adjacent cord from which nearly strangled a 15-month-old.

Both incidents happened in Europe and in each case, the lamp’s cord was pulled into the crib by the child, the company said.

Customers can get a free repair kit with self-adhesive fasteners for attaching the lamp cord to the wall, a warning label and safety instructions, by calling customer service at 888-966-4532.

“IKEA reminds customers that any corded product such as a window covering or a blind can present a strangulation hazard,” the company said. “Accessible cords should always be kept out of reach of young children.”

For a complete list and photos of the recalled lamps, click here.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.