EDISON New Jersey (PIX11) – James Monroe Elementary School students were back in class Wednesday morning, days after their Edison, N. J. school building was destroyed in a fire.
Middlesex County College will temporarily host the students as Edison school officials work to find a permanent solution.
Monroe Principal Lynda Zapoticzny said Wednesday morning, “no matter where we go from here, no matter where this magic carpet ride ends, we’ll all be together.”
Volunteers transformed vacant buildings at the college into classrooms fit for the displaced children.
“The outpouring of supplies and books and people donating from all over, unbelievable,” said 5th grade teacher Lisa Romeo.
A school custodian, Jerome Higgins is believed to have started the fire by discarding a burning cigarette. Higgins was issued a summons for smoking in a public place.