SHELBYVILLE — In a kind of real-life “Lassie” story, a central Indiana dog whose owner had just adopted him from a rescue group became the rescuer instead.
Like anyone who loves their dog, Erin Cramer isn’t afraid to show it. Now her love goes a little deeper, though, since she owes her life to her pet.
Two months ago, Cramer adopted Clobberhead from the local chapter of Greyhound Pets of America.
Cramer and her daughter call him Clobber and knew right away he was the right fit.
“It was just one of those things where (we knew) this was our dog for sure,” Cramer said.
Recently, Cramer was home sick when Clobber started acting out. He was standing with his nose against the wall and when she took him out to get some air, he immediately wanted to go back inside.
“He pulled me back in the house, literally, and the minute I took the leash off he raced back up the stairs,” Cramer said.
Still unsure what was wrong, she went to the laundry room. That’s when it hit her.
“(A) wall of gas just came pouring out,” Cramer said.
Her water heater had sprung a leak and begun filling the room with natural gas. Later, Cramer also learned the heater was sparking.
“(The plumber) said it probably would have ignited the gas fumes and taken out not only this house but several around me,” Cramer said.