The Mets take on the Detroit Tigers at Citi Field on PIX11

Prosecutor: Improperly-discarded cigarette caused NJ motel fire that killed 4

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

njmotel

POINT PLEASANT BEACH, N.J. (AP) — A prosecutor says careless smoking caused a fire that killed four people at a New Jersey shore motel.

Ocean County Prosecutor Joseph Coronato says a cigarette discarded in a stuffed chair touched off the blaze at the Mariner’s Cove Motor Inn in Point Please Beach.

RELATED: 4 dead, 8 injured after fire rips through NJ motel

The motel’s guests included some people who were previously displaced by Superstorm Sandy in Oct. 2012.

Eight other people were injured in the fire, three of them critically.

Coronato says the fire began in a designated smoking area on the second floor of the motel, located two blocks from the beach.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.