NEW YORK (PIX11) — The Department of Health is warning New Yorkers of handling live or raw fish at Chinatown fish markets after a recent outbreak of skin infections.
Officials say they have identified an outbreak of a rare skin condition caused by the bacteria Mycobacterium marinum in people who handled fish at markets in Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan Chinatowns.
The infection can cause tender swelling under the skin of the hands and arms, pain and difficultly moving fingers.
Antibiotics are needed to treat Mycobacterium marinum.
There are no health issues associated with consuming the fish at these markets.
The department urges patrons to use waterproof gloves while handling and preparing fish.
If left untreated, the infection may require surgery over time.