NJ Lt. Governor denies Hoboken mayor’s claim about withholding Sandy funds

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HOBOKEN, N.J. (PIX11) — New Jersey Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno publicly denied Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer’s allegations that Governor Christie’s administration withheld Superstorm Sandy relief funds.

Zimmer says the governor’s office threatened to keep Superstorm Sandy relief money from her town if she didn’t support a redevelopment project.

The project is spearheaded by the Rockefeller Group, a real estate firm with close ties to the Christie administration.

Guadagno went on record at a press conference Monday to defend the Christie camp saying the allegations made by Zimmer are untrue.

Zimmer’s allegations do come at an interesting time.

She says the threats were made back in May but didn’t come forward until now.

“I didn’t think anyone would believe me. I really didn’t,” said Zimmer. “Looking back, I probably should have come forward.”

These latest allegations add to gov Christie’s problems as he tries to dig himself out of the Bridgegate scandal.

The alleged incident happened last May after Guadagno toured a grocery story that had reopened after suffering $10 million in flooding damage from Sandy.

She remembers it as a friendly conversation, very different than what Zimmer remembers.

Zimmer says she is waiting for $70 million dollars in aid for Hoboken.

So far she has only received $300,000.