Parents warned about kids snorting Smarties

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(PIX11) — Parents at a Rhode Island middle school are being warned of a dangerous phenomenon involving kids snorting Smarties.

According to officials at Portsmouth Middle School, kids are crushing up the candies and snorting them as well as smoking it.

smartiesThe trend started in 2007 and has gone viral on YouTube.

The candy doesn’t contain any addictive ingredients and does not get people high.

Parents received an email about the health complications including lung infections; nose-wedged maggots; bleeding and nasal passage scarring; allergic reactions and even smoker’s cough.

When the Smarties are not finely crushed, pieces may act like razor blades cutting the tissue.

The sugar residue can also cause infections.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.