In what sounds like the opening to a terrifying urban legend, a London woman and her family had to leave their home after a swam of venomous spiders erupted from a banana she was eating.
According to The Sun newspaper, 29-year-old Consi Taylor was in the middle of eating a banana when she noticed a white spot she thought was mold.
The spot wasn’t mold, but instead was a nest of spiders. “I had a closer look and was horrified they were spiders. They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around my carpet,” Taylor told The Sun.
Taylor sent a picture of the horrifying fruit to pest control officials, who told her the spiders may be Brazilian wandering spiders, which were named the world’s most venomous spider by Guinness World Records.
The family had their home fumigated and had to spend several days in a hotel.
The store where Taylor purchased the bananas, Sainsbury’s, returned her money, and is said be covering the fumigation and hotel costs.
In a statement, Sainsbury’s said, “We’re very sorry and have apologized to Mr. and Mrs. Taylor. We do have rigorous controls on imported products at all stages — from harvesting to transportation — which is why this is so rare.”