BREAKING: Actress Penny Marshall dead at 75

Undocumented Israeli man arrested on child porn charges

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

An undocumented Israeli man living in his parents’ million-dollar Brooklyn home was arrested on child pornography charges Wednesday.

A well-known member of the Mill Basin Brooklyn community, Roy Naim is an immigrant who, his attorney said, wants to become an American citizen. Now, he’s behind bars.

Naim pleaded not guilty after being arrested by ICE agents at his Mill Basin home Wednesday morning.  Naim was detained after his arraignment at Brooklyn Federal Court — his next court hearing will be Thursday at 11am where his attorney will present his bail package.

Sex Offender copy

Roy Naim (CREDIT: Pearl Gabel/NY Daily News )

The complaint alleges that he told agents that he had been actively viewing and downloading child pornography for the past several years.

READ THE CRIMINAL COMPLAINT

Roy Naim’s attorney had little to say leaving Brooklyn Federal Court after Naim’s arraignment on child pornography charges.

“No comment this is a case that’s pending, said Defense Attorney Richard Finkel. “He did plead not guilty.”

On Tuesday Naim tweeted the following:

Neighbors in Mill Basin, Brooklyn were shocked and saddened by the charges. One neighbor said Naim was always a good neighbor. His family was emotional in court and had no comment after his arraignment. In court, his attorney said he is involved in local charitable organizations.

In June, Naim was the subject of a NY Daily News feature for his app working to highlight the struggles of undocumented children in the United States.  “Undocumented for a day” gives the user hypothetical, everyday situations that an undocumented child might end up in, and gives a variety of outcomes based on the user’s choice of action.

Naim was also featured in TIME magazine’s story about undocumented people in America by former Washington Post journalist Jose Antonio Vargas.

In court, his attorney said he came to the United States from Israel when he was 3 years old.

Law enforcement sources said he was associated with an upstate camp for sick children were he had worked as a counselor.

He could face a minimum of 5 years imprisonment and a maximum of 20 years imprisonment if convicted.