(PIX11) –– An electrical problem set off the epic fire that wiped out the Seaside Park boardwalk last week, investigators announced Tuesday.
And the cause is likely linked to aging wires or to the tragedy the boardwalk was trying to move on from — Superstorm Sandy. Prosecutors said they may never know definitively.
Investigators interviewed business owners, examined photos and videos, as well as examined possible financial motives.
They uncovered a failure of electrical equipment and wiring possibly caused by Sandy flood waters.
Officials are urging all businesses and homeowners to examine electrical equipment damaged by flood waters.
The fire originated under a structure that housed not only Kohr’s ice cream stand but also Biscayne Candies.
The wiring here was installed after 1970. It could have failed on its own but could also have been impacted by water and sand from Sandy.
The blaze began Thursday afternoon and consumed the rest of the boardwalk, as well as a portion of the one in neighboring Seaside Heights in just hours.
New Jersey is using money set aside for Sandy recovery to help clear and rebuild the fire-damaged businesses