Unlit barge may be to blame for fatal boat accident

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PIERMONT, New York (PIX11) – In place of a celebration, the community in Pearl River is mourning and instead of the wedding and union between Brian Bond and LIndsey Stewart, their church prepared to say their good byes to Stewart Friday morning.
It has been several days since a 21 foot Stingray crashed into a construction barge on the Hudson River just beneath the Tappan Zee Bridge and days since the accident not only claimed the life of bride to be Stewart and best man Mark Lennon, but also days since Rockland County District Attorney’s office charged their friend, Jojo John, with vehicular manslaughter and vehicular assault.  Three others, including Stewart’s fiance, meanwhile continued to process and heal from their injuries.

Audio recordings from 911 dispatchers revealed several minutes of confusion Friday night, despite
minutes ticking by as rescuers tried to locate the boat and the 6 passengers aboard.

The caller, one of the victims on the Stingray,also disclosed one victim was unconscious and that was Jojo John.
The families of Stewart and Lennon released a statement Wednesday, stating their families are shattered by the horrible accident but then quick to say alcohol should not solely be blamed and pointed to the construction barge and what they have called inadequate lighting.

Specifically stating, in their conversations with some of the survivors including Brian Bond

-The passengers on the boat -all mature, respected professionals in their thirties- had consumed very little alcohol and considered themselves sober.
-None of them saw the barge. They did not brace for impact and could not identify what they had hit- even after impact-

The families have also urged the public and anyone familiar with the construction barge on or before July 26th to contact them through darkbarges@gmail.com.

The Rockland County District Attorney’s office has confirmed the existence of a cell phone video taken seconds before the boat crashed and also for some time after the crash.  The DA’s office is still awaiting the results from toxicology reports and the medical examiner.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.