NEW YORK (PIX11) – During a press conference in Chelsea Tuesday, Anthony Weiner, flanked by his wife Huma Abedin, said that he will stay in the race despite yet another lewd picture scandal.
“Some of these things happened before my resignation, some of them happened after,” Weiner said, “But the fact is that was also the time that my wife and I were working through some things in our marriage.”
He added that he was glad that “these things are behind us” and once again asked New Yorkers to forgive him as he continues his run for the NYC mayoral seat. The first apology was accepted by his wife Huma Abedin, who appeared downcast and solemn at his side, hands clasped before her and her head down.
“We discussed all of this before Anthony decided to run for mayor,” Abedin said. “So really what I want to say, is, I love him, I have forgiven him, I believe in him and as we have said from the beginning, we are moving forward.”
It was just a matter of time before something surfaced, and today it did. A gossip website quotes a 22-year-old woman as claiming she had a six-month relationship with the disgraced former Congressman who is now running for Mayor. Weiner has warned that more texts and lewd pictures might surface, but the shocker is that the new action occurred after he resigned from Congress in 2011.
The website “The Dirty” contends communications between Weiner and the woman continued as recently as August of last year—well over a year after he left office.
Weiner has acknowledged the new revelations, saying that while some of the assertions are true, others are not. PIX11 will have a full report at 10. Meanwhile, two of his Democratic opponents, Bill DeBlasio and Sal Albanese have called on Weiner to withdraw from the campaign. De Blasio said simply, “Enough is enough.”AlertMe