Bronx fire started by child playing with a lighter

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BRONX, NEW YORK (PIX11)- Fire officials believe a child accidentally started a fire in a South Bronx apartment yesterday.

Authorities say the kid was playing with a lighter.

The fire broke out on the fifth floor of the apartment in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx.

50 people needed medical attention; five people remain in critical condition.

More than one hundred firefighters raced to the 3-alarmer at the Michelangelo houses, where, some of them trapped, were suffering the effects of the thick black smoke.

The injuries are mainly from smoke inhalation. The smoke rose all the way to the 27th floor the top floor of this building.

And all the tenants who were injured were found either in the smoky hallways or stairwell.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.