Tragic fire leaves elderly woman, disabled daughter dead

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW CITY, New York (PIX11) – A fast moving fire and no smoke detectors: it’s a deadly combination that cost a Rockland County woman and her daughter their lives early Thursday morning, authorities said.

According to authorities, the fast moving blaze broke out at 36 Stratford Place in New City shortly after midnight and completely destroyed the 2-story home in a quiet suburban neighborhood.

The Chief of the New City Fire Department Ken Flynn says they got a 911 call that they believe was from the elderly woman who lived in the house with her disabled daughter.

Flynn says he was the first to arrive and the rear of the house was completely engulfed in flames.

“We couldn’t get in so we did a 360 around the house.” The chief went on to say “When we managed to open the front door the entire first floor flashed over.”

Flynn says the woman whose name was not immediately released was found lying on the floor while her daughter was found in a day bed.

Fire officials say there were no smoke detectors. The town’s fire coordinator says investigators are now looking at the clothes dryer in the laundry room as a possible cause of the fire.