(Los Angeles Times) Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Sunday announced a $1-million reward for information leading to the arrest and capture of fugitive ex-cop Christopher Jordan Dorner, who is suspected of killing three people and wounding two others.
“We will not tolerate anyone undermining the security of this community,” Villaraigosa said at a news conference at LAPD headquarters downtown. “We will not tolerate this reign of terror.”
Police Chief Charlie Beck said the reward was “the largest local reward ever offered to our knowledge.” The reason for such a significant reward, Beck said, was “not about capturing a fleeing suspect, but about preventing another crime, likely another murder.”
“This is an act of domestic terrorism,” Beck said of those killed and allegedly targeted by Dorner. “He has targeted those we entrust to protect the public.”
A massive manhunt for Dorner began last week after the 33-year-old former Los Angeles police officer and Navy veteran allegedly began a deadly campaign that has left an Irvine couple and a Riverside police officer dead. Dorner is believed to be upset over his firing from the department in 2009.
The city of Los Angeles, law enforcement organizations, private groups and anonymous donors have all contributed to the reward fund, according to law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation.
Los Angeles County Supervisors Mike Antonovich and Mark Ridley Thomas are expected to ask the Board of Supervisors on Tuesday to contribute $100,000 to the fund, according to Tony Bell, an Antonovich spokesman.
In addition to Los Angeles officials, representatives from the Riverside and Irvine police departments and the FBI and U.S. Marshall’s office attended the news conference.
The frustrating search for Dorner has spanned from Riverside to Corona to Big Bear to Point Loma in San Diego. There have been numerous false starts, but officials say the heightened publicity has not brought them closer to making an arrest.
Dorner’s Nissan Titan pickup was found Thursday morning engulfed in flames on a mountain road in the Big Bear area, and law enforcement officials have since focused their search efforts there.
Officials said Sunday the search in Big Bear was winding down.
On Saturday, Police Chief Charlie Beck announced he was reopening the investigation into the firing of Dorner from the Police Department, the event that apparently sparked his vengeful campaign.
Beck said he was reopening the investigation “not to appease a murderer” but to assure the public his department is fair and transparent. He said he wanted to protect an “increasingly positive relationship with the community” that the LAPD has developed over the last few years.