An Australian veterinarian saved a puppy named Cleo from dying after consuming anti-freeze radiator fluid with an unlikely cure — by feeding it vodka.
“The vet had a bottle of vodka, which was a gift, so they just hooked her up. The next time I saw her [the dog, not the vet] I asked if she was wasted and the vet was like, ‘yeah’. Cleo had really bloodshot eyes and she was pretty unsteady. She couldn’t move around much because she was so wasted,” owner Stacey Zammit told News.com.au.
The vet explained afterwards that the alcohol counteracts internal damage caused by the fluid. The ethylene glycol poisoning could have caused the puppy kidney failure.
“It was only a 3 kg dog, so it doesn’t take much of the anti-freeze for it to become poisoned. The owners were straight on top of the money. They realized straight away that things weren’t right and came straight to us,” said veterinarian Scott Hall.AlertMe