Story Summary

Subway shove death

Police have arrested a suspect in the horrifying shoving death of a man into the path of a subway train.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 10 updates

After a number of people were killed on subway tracks, a Staten Island artist says he has a solution to keep riders safe.

The safety rail ladder would be used as a step ladder for people who find themselves on the tracks — in need of a quick escape.

So far, transit officials are blowing off the idea.

NEW YORK (PIX11) – It seems like every other day in the headlines there’s a tragedy on the subway tracks.  They involve people dying in accidents, suicides, and people being thrown to their deaths in front of trains. Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer says its a big problem that continues to grow and he wants it fixed.

Stringer is calling on the MTA’s Inspector General to investigate other systems from around the world to see how they keep the trains safe.

The request is timely.  On Tuesday, a person was killed by a train in Times Square.  Three days earlier, a man was  pronounced dead after he was hit by a train at the 23rd street, Park Avenue station. He was just one of 4 people killed on the rails in a 24 hour period.  Outside the station  riders reacted to Stringer’s call for action.

” It’s a good idea. There are too many deaths happening too many accidents,”  one rider told PIX11.  “I just saw one on TV last week.  This woman was just sitting there and this guy punched her and then threw her on the tracks. It’s pretty scary.”

PIX11 asked another rider if he was hopeful that they may have some ideas from other cities around the world that might help us here? He told us  “Sure.  It’s worth looking at.  There are big subways all over the world and a lot of people use them everyday.”  he added ” There must be a way to keep people safe, so it’s worth looking at.”

Stringer plans to press his case during a Wednesday afternoon press conference outside the Municipal Building in lower Manhattan.

PHILADELPHIA (PIX11) - A Philadelphia man has been arrested in a shocking attack.

He’s accused of throwing a woman onto the subway tracks.

The woman managed to pull herself to safety. She suffered only minor injuries.

Police say they aren’t sure why he did it,

But they believe the man may have mental health problems.

Times Square subway pusher Naeem Davis claims he was high and hearing voices when he allegedly killed Ki Suck Han. Kaity Tong reports.

imagesNew Yorkers came to the rescue to avoid another subway track tragedy.

Just before 10 p.m. on Thursday night, a disoriented man tumbled onto the tracks of the Bowling Green station, right into the path on an oncoming 5 train.

The scene was eerily similar to earlier this week when 58-year-old Ki-Suck Han was pushed to his death onto the track of an approaching Q train.

“All I kept thinking was oh my God, not again. Not again. This is twice in one week,” said witness Margaret Besher, according to the New York Post.

According to Besher, the U.N. correspondent for Voice of America, the Bowling Green station erupted into chaos as the light from the oncoming train came through the tunnel.  The man struggled to his feet and people across the platform shouted “help him, help him!”

As the train pulled into the station, another man scrambled onto the tracks to try and lift him to safety.  Luckily the train stopped in time and the two men were pulled back onto the platform, while onlookers cheered

The man who fell was taken to a hospital and the second was uninjured, the MTA said.

After creating a controversy with photos of a man standing helplessly on subway tracks before he was run over by a train, the freelance photographer R. Umar Abbasi who took them defends his actions.

Funeral service held for victim of subway pushing

We may never know how the exchange between victim and assailant – caught on cell phone video – actually began.

But Ashley Han says she is still trying to cope as she wonders whether anyone – including a freelance photographer and several commuters – may have had the opportunity to help her father, Ki-Suck Han, after he was fatally pushed into the path of an oncoming Q-train Monday morning.

Capture

Ashley Han, daughter of the subway push victim speaks at a press conference

“The thought of someone helping him up in a matter of seconds would have been great. But like I said, what has happened has happened,” Han told reporters.

The Han family held a news conference today, inside the family church, in an effort to ultimately regain some sense of privacy. They were surrounded by leaders within the Korean-American community, and city comptroller John Liu.

“They emigrated here 25-years ago, and both Mr. and Mrs. Han worked as Ashley got her education right here in New York City,” said Liu.

Ashley is a 20-year old junior at Hunter College. Her mother, Serim Han, is disabled. Ki-Suck spent the last several years struggling to care for his family.

“My dad was always someone who wanted the American dream, he really enforced my education, and he was always there for me. And it’s really devastating that he’s gone and I’m still in disbelief,” said Ashley.

There was no mention at the news conference of reports that Han had reportedly argued with his wife Monday morning in their Elmhurst Queens apartment, and had been drinking at the time of his encounter with suspect Naeem Davis before Davis pushed him onto the tracks.

Davis has since confessed to the crime.

Funeral services for Ki-Suck will be held at 9 a.m. Thursday in Flushing.

A man charged with murder after police say he pushed another straphanger into the path of an oncoming Q train, is now blaming the victim.

“He attacked me first,” said Naeem as he was escorted in handcuffs into Central Booking Wednesday after being charged with two counts of second degree murder.  “He grabbed me.”

Pusher

Subway-push suspect Naeem Davis blamed the victim on his way into Central Booking Wednesday

When asked by PIX11, “Naeem, did you mean to kill him when you pushed him on the tracks?” he responded with one word: “no”.

30-year-old Davis is blaming his alleged murder victim, 58-year-old Ki-Suk Han, for his death — even though none of that was captured on video or reported by witnesses.

He tried evading cops by shaving off the dreadlocks seen in surveillance video and pictures, but police quickly tracked him down in just 24 hours arresting him just steps outside the 49th Street Subway station.  Police say he has confessed to aspects of the crime, and after facing lineups, he’s been officially charged with 2 counts of second degree murder.

The homeless man, born in Africa, is said to have lived in a $30-a-night Queens boarding house.

He has a long arrest history of petty crimes according to sources–everything from marijuana charges to selling t-shirts without a license mostly in midtown.  Those arrests most likely were stored in special police databases that helped cops quickly hone in on him.

Victim

56-year-old Ki-Suk Han died after being pushed onto the subway tracks

Beyond the horror of Davis tossing Han onto the tracks and watching while a Q train slammed into him, a photo taken at the scene has created another controversy.

After the New York Post ran the image as a cover photo, many are criticizing the freelance newspaper photographer for pushing the shutter button rather than trying to pull Han from the tracks.

Anywhere from 20 seconds to a minute passed before the train crushed him.  He defended himself this morning on the Today Show, saying, “I was on assignment.  I don’t control what images are used and how they are presented.  I find the positive thing is we started a debate about what could have been done.

Advertisement