WEST BABYLON, New York (PIX11) - The Suffolk County Health Department turned up at a rental complex in West Babylon, meeting a Hurricane Sandy victim who said her temporary apartment was invaded by mold.
31 year old Lauren Norinder, who moved to Unit 411 at the Harbour Club last March, complained that her clothing and new furniture were damaged by mold. Norinder and her husband–parents to two, young sons–broke their lease two months early and demanded their security deposit back. The owner, Susan Barbash, suggested that
the Norinder family brought the mold with them, when they moved in.
The Norinders hired a private mold inspector, Michelle Ferguson, who said lab results showed that dangerous levels of a mold called stachybatrys were found inside a wall cavity in the apartment. The owner hired her own inspector, who concluded that no stachybatrys was found on the walls. But the family’s consultant pointed out, “They did not search the section of the wall I did. They did not inspect inside the wall cavity.”
Some previous and current residents of Harbour Club belong to a Facebook site that shares information on the complex. Some tenants moved out in recent years, claiming that moisture issues weren’t dealt with.
But not everyone has problems in the building where Lauren Norinder used to live on Marine Lane.
Jane McGrath, who lives in Unit 427, told PIX 11 she never had any problems with mold.
Rich Groh, who works for Babylon’s Department of Environmental Control, told PIX 11 the findings from Thursday’s visit–and the two lab reports–would be turned over to the New York State Department of Health.