Story Summary

Ramarley Graham case

Cop to appear in court in death of Bronx teen Ramarley Graham

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 4 updates

(THE BRONX) – Ramarley Graham’s case is not Trayvon Martin’s.

Trayvon Martin scuffled at night in the open with volunteer neighborhood watch coordinator George Zimmerman.

On the afternoon of February 2nd, 2012, Ramarley Graham had no scuffle, was inside his home, and was ultimately shot in front of his grandmother by NYPD narcotics officer Richard Haste.  Surveillance video shows Graham walking in with Haste in pursuit shortly thereafter trying to break down the front door and then minutes later entering through the back.

The dynamics have always been there for an explosive case since Graham never had a gun on him and the NYPD had to retract its story of a scuffle prior to the shooting.  Yet unlike the Martin case, Graham’s case never saturated the national airwaves.

Why?

“I don’t know.  That is the million-dollar question. As soon as you figure it out, let me know,” said Geronimo a supporter of the Graham family who was at a rally hours after it was announced that Haste would not be re-indicted by a Bronx grand jury.

The question as to why no national traction is one that that many have asked behind the scenes including by Graham’s mother, Constance Malcolm.  Malcolm admitted to PIX 11 News on Thursday that it’s been on her mind often, “I don’t know and Ramarley was another Trayvon here in New York but people refuse to see that.”

From a timing standpoint, the shooting took place the same Thursday before the Giants Super Bowl victory over New England, so the bulk of the media coverage that week was focused on the Giants.

Then Graham’s funeral was held the same week as Whitney Houston’s funeral in Newark.  Most of the local spotlight at that time was on the untimely death of the legend.  Again, Graham’s case was overshadowed.

“It’s stacked against us,” said Malcolm, who quickly added,  “There is always something when Ramarley’s case comes up and we’ve got always fight through this to push our case forward.”

Royce Russell, the family attorney, plans to meet with the U.S Attorney’s Office with hopes that the case catches the eye of Attorney General Eric Holder.  Russell says the reason for the lack of national attention is simple transparency and the involvement of law enforcement, “Purely because the inability of cameras to be allowed in the courtroom that is one, so then you can’t get the day-to-day national exposure. Then two, America does not want to shed criticism on law enforcement.  It’s just as simple as that.”

Russell’s partner, Jeffrey Emdin says that a planned civil suit will proceed.

The fight for justice for Ramarley Graham has hit a road block.

The indictment against the police officer who shot and killed the teen has been thrown out.

Earlier Wednesday, a Bronx judge found legal errors, saying prosecutors gave flawed instructions to a grand jury during the indictment of officer Richard Haste.

The case is far from over as it is expected to be presented to the grand jury.

Cop to appear in court in death of Bronx teen Ramarley Graham

Ramarley’s father, Frank Graham, released a statement after the shocking news saying they will keep fighting until  Haste goes to prison.

“If it means going back to the grand jury or if we have to ask the federal court to deal with this case; we are going to keep fighting no matter what,” said Graham, father of Ramarley. “Where ever it leads us we will go there.  We will never stop until justice is served in this case, until Richard Haste goes to prison for murdering our son.  If we start over, we will start stronger!”

The New York City police officer charged with killing a Bronx teenager will appear in court  Tuesday.

It’s unclear why officer Richard Haste will be in court.

Last year, 18-year-old Ramarley Graham was shot and killed in his own home.

Officer haste thought the teen was armed and flushing marijuana down the toilet. No weapon was ever found.

Haste is free on bond and awaiting trial on manslaughter charges.

On Saturday it will be a year since the NYPD kicked open the door at 749 East 229th Street.  Moments later, 18-year-old Ramarley Graham was gunned down by NYPD officer Richard Haste, a member of the force’s Street Narcotics Enforcement Unit, better known as SNEU.

The controversial shooting still has more questions than answers.  On Thursday afternoon, Graham’s parents — Constance Malcolm and Frank Graham — came to PIX 11 News to speak exclusively about the past year, “It’s a struggle everyday.  You know it’s hard.  It seems like just yesterday. I still cry a lot,” said Malcolm.

Moments later, she conveyed the challenges she has at times when looking out the windows of her home, “I look outside looking for my son, and he’s not there and it’s like, my son should be here. This should have never happened.  This is a situation that could have turned out differently if just this one person waited.  Waited for the proper procedure,” said Malcolm.

Ever since the afternoon of Feb 2, 2012, life has been a challenge — emotionally and judicially — for Malcolm and Graham.   During the hour-long meeting about their 18-year old son, they shared their stories regarding the first time they watched the infamous surveillance video,  “There goes my baby taking his few last steps,” said Graham.

The family of Ramarley Graham is speaking out nearly a year after he was shot and killed by the NYPD

The family of Ramarley Graham is speaking out nearly a year after he was shot and killed by the NYPD

Malcolm quickly followed with, “It angers me, because I see Ramarley walking in and the story that they told wasn’t the same thing as you saw on the tape.”

The story that Commissioner Ray Kelly and the NYPD originally put out was that a struggle led to Graham’s death.  They backpedaled once the video emerged, and now Haste is facing a spring trial along with 1st and 2nd degree manslaughter charges. Although it will not happen, Malcolm and Graham would like to ask Haste one question, “Why did he do it?”

The two admit they still don’t trust the NYPD, adding perhaps someday they will. That said, they do know that they have the support of some of the city’s finest who have reached out to them privately.  Frank will never forget one  run-in with a cop on 125th Street in Harlem, “He showed me the badge first, he says, not to scare you, keep doing what you guys are doing because what happened to your son was wrong.  It was wrong. So you keep fighting and do what do to get justice for your son.”

The parents along with their attorney in the civil case, Jeff Emdin, expect the Bronx DA establish opening arguments of a trial sometime in May.

On Friday, a 105-page summons and complaint will be filed by the family at Bronx Supreme Court.

Malcolm is confident that ultimately justice will be served.

Advertisement