2 injured in second Christmas Day fire in Manhattan

CHELSEA, Manhattan — Two people were injured in a Christmas afternoon fire at a Chelsea building caused by an unattended candle, officials said.

(Twitter/ACHMAT X)

The 3-alarm blaze broke out around 3:40 p.m. Flames started on the top floor of the 19th Street building.

Thick smoke filled the streets of Chelsea as 140 firefighters battled the flames. Winds made it difficult to handle the fire.

One civilian and one firefighter was injured, officials said. None of the injuries were serious.

The fire was under control by 4:50 p.m.

An Instagram-famous dog and her owner live in the building, but were out for a walk during the fire.

"The fact that Loubie and I, we are safe, it is what is the most important," Cesar Fernandez said. "We went running around the block and then when we got to this corner, that's when I realized it was the apartment next to mine."

Loubie isn't the only pet who's safe.

"Luckily everyone's pets are ok, but there is a lot of water damage," tenant Cody Hoyer said.  "All of our stuff is destroyed.

The cause of the fire was unattended candles, according to FDNY, who said it was accidental.

Earlier, FDNY Deputy Chief Thomas Currao said: "From what Con Edison told us, there was no gas that was feeding into the building. The heating was actually ​supplied by oil heat."

A man died in a separate Manhattan fire earlier Monday. His body was found inside the midtown high-rise.