11 hospitalized after carbon monoxide exposure in Jersey City building

JERSEY CITY – Eleven patients were taken to the hospital for carbon monoxide exposure Thursday.

Jersey City emergency officials evacuated a 16-family residential building at 168 Harrison Avenue.

Eleven people, including one Jersey City firefighter, were taken to the hospital for treatment. Six of those individuals are in critical condition, officials said.

The building representative, PSE&G, and Fire Department are investigating the scene.

The incident was caused by a broken boiler.

The Jersey City Mayor's Office released the following statement: "With regards to today's incident, the fire inspector found two units that were in violation with no working CO or smoke detectors and will be issuing violations to the building management."