TRACK TROUBLE: LIVE UPDATES ON YOUR COMMUTE DURING THE ‘SUMMER OF HELL’

Officer who killed Philando Castile gets $48,500 in agreement to leave police department

Minnesota police officer Jeronimo Yanez was acquitted in the shooting death of Philando Castile during a traffic stop in July 2016.

MINNEAPOLIS  — The Minnesota police officer acquitted in last year’s fatal shooting of black motorist Philando Castile will receive $48,500 as part of a separation agreement with the Minneapolis suburb of St. Anthony.

Jeronimo Yanez, who is leaving the St. Anthony Police Department under the agreement announced Monday, also will be paid for up to 600 hours of unused compensatory time. The details were released to The Associated Press through a public information request.

The city says because Yanez wasn’t convicted of a crime, he would have had appeal and grievance rights if he’d been fired.

Yanez, who is Latino, was acquitted of manslaughter last month in Castile’s death. Yanez shot Castile several times during a July 2016 traffic stop, seconds after Castile informed him he was carrying a gun.

Castile had a permit for the weapon. Yanez testified in his defense that Castile ignored his commands not to pull out the gun and he feared for his life.

Castile’s uncle, Clarence Castile, says he’s glad the officer who killed his nephew has left the police department. He called Yanez a “a poor example of a police officer” and said he “should be in jail.”