Staten Island man dies in fire on his birthday

CHARLESTON, Staten Island — A Staten Island man died in a blaze on his birthday, NYPD officials said.

Anthony Carter, 62, was killed in the late night Saturday fire, police said. Firefighters rushed to the Pembrook Loop home just before midnight.

Neighbors grabbed a hose and tried to help put out the fire. Fire marshals later determined the blaze was started by unattended candles.

Carter's 9-year-old son was injured in the fire, police said. He was taken to Staten Island University North Hospital for treatment of minor burns and smoke inhalation.

He is currently in stable condition.

Carter worked as a professor at the University of New Haven. His neighbors all described him as a good man.

Click here for some fire safety tips.