New Hampshire man electrocuted, hospitalized when putting up Christmas lights

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MERRIMACK, N.H. — A 54-year-old man from New Hampshire, feeling in the Christmas spirit, decided to decorate his house for the holidays — but he got more than he bargained for.

Fire officials say the man from Merrimack, New Hampshire was electrocuted while hanging lights on a tree in his front yard.

Authorities say he had been using a metal pole to put up decorations when the pole struck the primary power line, which carries about 20,000 volts of electricity, throwing the man to the ground.

The fire departments says he was taken to a local hospital to treat his burns and then was transferred to a hospital in Boston for further treatment.