E-cigarette battery explodes in man’s pants at Grand Central Terminal wine store: source

This shows the aftermath of when an e-cigarette battery exploded in a man's pocket while he was at a wine store in Grand Central Terminal, a source says. (John Frasse/PIX11 News)

This shows the aftermath of when an e-cigarette battery exploded in a man’s pocket while he was at a wine store in Grand Central Terminal, a source says. (John Frasse/PIX11 News)

MIDTOWN, Manhattan — An e-cigarette battery exploded after it rubbed against loose coins in a man’s pocket Wednesday morning, a source said.

The man was at Central Cellars in Grand Central Terminal about 10 a.m. when an e-cigarette battery exploded in his pants pocket. A source said the battery brushed against coins that were in the pocket and caused it to combust.

Central Cellars employee John Lee told the Associated Press that the explosion looked like “fireworks” going on in his pants.

The man was taken to the hospital and treated for leg and hand burns, the AP reported.

Train service was not affected by the incident.

Electronic cigarettes and other battery-operated electronic smoking devices occasionally do catch fire.

Last year, the federal Department of Transportation issued a rule prohibiting passengers from packing e-cigarettes in checked luggage to protect against in-flight fires.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.