New Clinton emails are not from private server, were found in sexting probe of Anthony Weiner

WASHINGTON — A U.S. official says newly discovered emails that have prompted a new FBI review of the Hillary Clinton email investigation came from a separate sexting probe of former congressman Anthony Weiner.

Federal authorities in New York and North Carolina are investigating online communications between Weiner and a 15-year-old girl.

The official said Friday that the emails referenced by FBI Director James Comey surfaced during that investigation. The official was familiar with the investigation but was not authorized to discuss the matter by name and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Comey told members of Congress on Friday that newly discovered emails believed to be related to the Clinton case were prompting a new review.

The New York Times first reported the connection.

Clinton's campaign learned of the news while they were aboard a flight to Iowa. Once they arrived, Clinton held a press conference to address the new information.

Clinton called on the FBI to immediately release all information it has on newly discovered emails, saying "We don't know the facts, which is why we're calling on the FBI to release all the information it has … let’s get it out."

Clinton says she is confident the new emails will not change FBI's conclusion she should not face prosecution.

The surprising news jolts a presidential race that had largely settled as Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump struggled in national and key battleground polls. Now, Clinton will be placed back on the defensive and forced to confront yet again questions about her trustworthiness.

Despite lashing Clinton's email practices as "extremely careless," Comey declined earlier this summer to suggest prosecution. That move was instantly was lambasted by Republicans -- some of whom decried the department's politicization. Comey eventually was called to Capitol Hill to testify and defend the FBI's integrity and decision process.

House Speaker Paul Ryan said Friday that Clinton betrayed Americans' trust for handling "the nation's most important secrets."

"This decision, long overdue, is the result of her reckless use of a private email server, and her refusal to be forthcoming with federal investigators," Ryan said in a statement. "I renew my call for the Director of National Intelligence to suspend all classified briefings for Secretary Clinton until this matter is fully resolved."

The Department of Justice declined to comment Friday.

Donald Trump, speaking at a rally in Manchester, New Hampshire, told his supporters the news Friday afternoon.

"We must not let her take her criminal scheme into the Oval Office," Trump said.