UPPER EAST SIDE, Manhattan — A man who died when flames ripped through an Upper East Side apartment has been identified as a 25-year-old resident, police said Friday.
Lemmy Thuku was found Thursday on the third of floor of the charred apartment building at 324 East 93rd St., police said. His body was discovered about 3:30 a.m. after firefighters had extinguished the blaze.
Thuku was pronounced dead at the scene. His cause of death was not immediately released.
The fire at the century-old building injured 13 people, including eight firefighters, authorities said. Among those hurt is an 81-year-old man who was taken to a hospital in unknown condition.
What sparked the fire is under investigation.