NEW YORK — Fall is here and that means apples are ready for picking. Here are some of the best places to go and pick apples:
- Apple Ridge Orchards: This orchard features more than 20 types of apples. There’s also a pumpkin patch, hayride, petting zoo and honeybee observation area. The orchard is open to the public Thurs.-Sun. from 9 a.m.-6p.m. Apples are $28/half bushel.
- Apple Dave’s Orchards: The orchard features 10 kinds of apples, pumpkins, puppet shows and hayrides. Apples are $30/half bushel.
- Wilkens Fruit & Fir Farm: This 100-year-old orchard has 13 varieties of applies available. Wilkens also has a pumpkin patch which opens in October. It’s open daily from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. For more information on cost, email email@example.com.
- Lewin Farms: The orchard features apples, pumpkins and a corn maze. Hours change daily and visitors are advised to call 631-929-4327 to hear hours each day.
- Stuart’s Fruit Farm: This farm, which opened in 1828, is open daily from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. It has 19 types of apples available There are hayrides on the weekend and pumpkin picking begins in October. For more information on cost, call 914-245-2784.
- Maskers: There are 15 types of apples at this orchard, opened in 1913. The orchard, open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., also has a haunted house, face painting, a pumpkin patch and an apple maze. Apples are $28.95/bag.
- Fishkill Farms: This orchard features 13 kinds of apples. It also has hayrides on the weekend. The farm is open 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily. There’s a $5 admission fee for everyone over the age of 5. Admission is free on Tuesdays.
- Wightman’s Farms: This farm features 18 types of apples. There are also pumpkins and hay rides. Wightman’s is open Saturday-Sunday.
- Terhune Orchards: There are 19 varieties of apples at this New Jersey orchard. The farm is open daily from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Alstede Farms: There are dozens of types available. The farm is open daily from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Prices vary based on when you visit. Check the website for more information.