NEW YORK — The Consumer Product and Safety Commission announced Thursday all Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones are being recalled after dozens of users reported the device caught fire while charging.
Any smartphone sold before September 15, 2016 are being recalled because they pose as a safety hazard. Last week, customers were already urged to “immediately stop using and power down” the device as the recall plan was being processed.
Samsung has received 92 reports of batteries overheating, 26 of them leading to users being burned, according tot he CPSC. Fifty-five people have also reported property damage, including in cars and garage.
The company said customers with a Galaxy Note 7 should contact their carrier or Samsung to receive a free replacement or a refund. For more information, check the CPSC website.
Samsung announced on Sept. 2 it would stop selling all Galaxy Note 7 smartphones. However, the increase number of warnings from officials to avoid using the phones, including the New Jersey Transit, has led to company to do a total recall. The FAA told airline passengers to turn off the phones when flying due to the safety risk.
The company has sold 2.5 million of the devices worldwide since introducing them in August.
Outside the U.S., Samsung has offered other solutions to consumers. In its home market of South Korea, the company says it will debut a new “battery-problem-free” Note 7 phones on Monday.