MANHATTAN – World leaders will gather for the United Nations General Assembly starting Tuesday, prompting street closures and a nightmare commute throughout Manhattan.
The NYPD announced the following streets will be subject to closure from Sept. 13 through 26:
- FDR Drive between Whitehall Street and Willis Avenue Bridge/RFK Bridge
- Area bounded by 60th Street on the north, 34th Street on the south, 1st Avenue on the east, Madison Avenue on the west, all inclusive
- 34th Street between FDR Drive and 7th Avenue
- 42nd Street between FDR Drive and 7th Avenue
- 48th Street and 49th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive service road
- FDR Drive service road between 48th Street and 49th Street
- 50th Street between FDR Drive and 7th Avenue
- 51st Street between 6th Avenue and 3rd Avenue
- 52nd Street between 6th Avenue and Madison Avenue
- 53rd Street between FDR Drive and 7th Avenue
- 54th Street between 3rd Avenue and 7th Avenue
- 6th Avenue between 53rd Street and 55th Street
- 56th Street between 6th Avenue and 5th Avenue
- 57th Street between FDR Drive and 7th Avenue
- 58th Street and 59th Street between 6th Avenue and 5th Avenue
Anticipate NY Waterway ferry delays and temporary closures of Pier 11/Wall St. on Tuesday due to President Obama's arrival in New York City.
Also, expect delays on buses and extra congestion around the city. Mass transit is highly recommended during the session.
PIX11 traffic producer Christina Diaz contributed to this report.