Families are expected to spend $76 billion on school and college supplies this year, up from last year’s $68 billion. Jeanie Ahn from Yahoo Finance has a few tips.
Here’s how to shop smarter with a student discount:
- Best deals on software: JourneyEd.com offers deep discounts for students and teachers. Find popular design tools like Adobe Creative Cloud (retails for $600) for a third of the price.
- For the best deals on hardware like laptops, monitors, cameras, go to B&H’s site and plug in your dot-edu email
- Wireless carriers like At&t and Sprint offer discounts on phone plans
- Amazon Prime offers a 6-month free trial, plus 50 percent off the regular price of $99 per year
- Spotify and Apple Music charge students $5 per month instead of $10
- Netflix and Hulu offer 1-month free trials
TRAVEL & ENTERTAINMENT
- StudentUniverse.com offers special rates on flights and hotels
- Ground transportation: Amtrak offers 15 percent off, Greyhound’s Student Advantage card discounts up to 20 percent
- Get an International Student Identity Cards at STAtravel.com to unlock deals all over the world for full-time students under age 26
- Student discounts don’t just apply to college kids. Many times teachers, administrators, and even grade school students can benefit. At Apple, the education discount can be applied to those from kindergarten through 12th grade.
- There’s a perfect storm of sales happening right now between summer clearance sales, back-to-school and labor day deals — now add your student discount to that and you’ll be golden.