ANKARA, Turkey — Turkey’s state-run Anadolu Agency has reported that the death toll in the outdoor wedding party attack in southeastern Turkey has risen to 50.
The report said the new figure came from the Gaziantep governor’s office. Previously, the number of dead was 30 with 94 others wounded.
Officials say Saturday’s attack in Gaziantep, near Syria’s border, appeared to be a suicide bombing.
Turkey’s president has blamed the Islamic State group for the attack.
The explosion occurred in the city of Gaziantep, located about 95 kilometers (60 miles) north of the war-torn Syrian city of Aleppo.
Orhan Akin, Gaziantep bureau chief for the Ihlas News Agency, told CNN Turk that he saw “at least 20 ambulances carrying injured people.”
Regional Governor Ali Yerlikaya called the incident a “terror attack” and said it took place in Akdere neighborhood of the Sahinbey district, Anadolu reported.
The agency added that the wedding celebration took place on a street, which is common in southern Turkey.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, and no details on what caused the explosion were immediately available.
Turkey has experienced significant turmoil in recent months, with an attempted military coup in July and a series of deadly explosions.
Past attacks have been carried out by ISIS, which controls northern Syria across the border, and the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK).
In the most brazen attack, 44 people were killed in July by suspected ISIS suicide bombers at Istanbul Ataturk Airport.
Last March, two suicide bombers killed at least 40 people in Ankara, the capital. A Kurdish rebel group claimed responsibility for that attack.
On August 10, two explosions killed at least eight people in the southeastern towns of Kizitepe and Diyarbakir. Initial assessments indicated Kurdish militants were behind both attacks, a government official said.
This is a developing story, check back for updated information.