ST. ANTHONY, Minn. — The officer who shot Philando Castile last month went back to work this past week.
Officer Jeronimo Yanez returned to work this Wednesday in an administrative role, a month after he fatally shot Castile during a traffic stop.
FOX 9 Minneapolis reported that Minnesota police chief Jon Mangseth said Yanez returned to work on August 17.
Yanez is reportedly performing desk duties and doing other administrative work until the investigation of the shooting is complete, according to Mangseth's statement to FOX 9.
Mangseth told the Associated Press that Yanez was a skilled and energetic officer and had "a real sound ability when it comes to communicating and relating to people."
His account contrasts with the aftermath of the July 6 shooting which was broadcast live on Facebook by Castile's fiance Diamond Reynolds.
Yanez was shown yelling expletives while pointing the gun at a bleeding Castile.
Mangseth says that's a common reaction in a high-stress situation.
Reynolds said they were pulled over for a broken tail light and that Castile told the officer he was armed and had a concealed carry permit.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.