LI man’s fingers severed when fireworks detonate in hand

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WYANDANCH, N.Y. — A Long Island man lost two  fingers when fireworks detonated in his hand, prompting police to warn residents about such dangers this holiday weekend.

The 35-year-old man and several other people were standing in front of AC Auto Repair and Diagnostics on Wyandanch Avenue about 10 p.m. Thursday when the mortar firework went off in his right hand, according to Suffolk County police.

He was taken to the hospital and treated for his injuries.

As the Fourth of July weekend approaches, police are reminding residents that possessing and detonating fireworks, including sparklers, is illegal.