EAST HARLEM, Manhattan — A fire that broke out beneath Metro-North tracks in East Harlem was sparked by an accidental fuel spill onto a hot generator during re-fueling, fire officials said Wednesday.
The blaze began about 6:45 p.m. Tuesday under the tracks at Park Avenue and E. 118th St. Firefighters extinguished the flames just after 8 p.m.
The Fire Department of New York said the fire at a garden center was caused by fuel that spilled on a hot generator. Fire marshals said the spill happened while the generator was being refueled.
Dark smoke could seen for miles billowing above the tracks, which take commuters north out of Manhattan into the suburbs and Connecticut. Those commuters, some 150,000, endured hours of delays, well into Wednesday.
Metro-North Railroad has said it is operating on a Saturday schedule until further notice. It said crews were installing six temporary steel columns at the site .
More than 150 firefighters responded to the Tuesday night blaze. One firefighter suffered a minor injury when he slipped, but no civilians were hurt.